This post may contain affiliate links that I may receive a commission from if you click & buy. In addition, the information on this site is NOT intended to be medical advice. See my full policy for more information.
Whether you’re looking to get back on the fitness train or simply continue helping your body recover after birth, these are the BEST postpartum workout programs made JUST FOR MOMS!
One of the hardest parts about finding a workout program after having a baby is that there aren’t too many around!
Plus, you also have to make sure you’re very picky about the program you select.
That’s because you don’t need to rush into doing any kind of movements that could cause you to hurt yourself, backtrack in your recovery progress, or simply just be unfit for you at this time.
So how can you find a solid postpartum workout program and what are the 3 I think are best? Keep reading to find out!
Choosing the BEST postpartum workout program after birth
There are a few areas you’ll want to be mindful of when it comes to your workout program selection.
I’m going to break them down so it makes sense and can hopefully help you find a workout routine that fits YOU best!
What’s your fitness level?
If you’re a total novice who’s never worked out before (besides mild walking or some yoga back in the day), you need to be mindful of choosing a routine that isn’t overly advanced for you.
The good news is, most postpartum workout plans are designed with novice – advanced levels of fitness in mind!
However, if you find a program that “looks cool”, maybe guarantees you some weight loss results, and boasts its 10 mins per day commitment, I’d caution you to think twice.
Typically if you’re newer to working out, you’ll likely spend a little more time going through the movements, learning what they feel like and how your body reacts to them — not the opposite.
Finding a program that can efficiently guide you through the process (even if the results trickle in slowly) will have much more benefits than a program that rushes you through and isn’t geared specifically for postpartum moms.
Risks of exercising too soon postpartum
Yes, you CAN jump back into exercising too soon.
Before selecting ANY kind of program, you’ll want to make sure at the very least, you get medical clearance from your doctor.
If you rush into things too quickly, you could end up being faced with:
- Intestinal hernia (more common for post-cesareans if not healed completely)
- Vaginal tears/episiotomies not healing all the way or becoming infected
- Cesarean incision infection
- Heavy postpartum bleeding
- Physical injury while working out
Those are just a few of the “bigger” things you’ll want to avoid by not working out before you’re ready.
Are you breastfeeding?
Contrary to popular belief, working out does NOT directly lower your breast milk supply.
However, there are some reasons many moms experience a sudden drop in milk production after the resume working out again.
- Not consuming ENOUGH calories — breastfeeding alone requires an additional 300-500 calories per day, when you add in a workout, you need to increase that number a bit in order to maintain your milk supply! Otherwise, you may notice a decrease in milk production
- Not drinking ENOUGH water — many women struggle to drink water as is, but when you add in a workout, it’s important you don’t skimp on keeping yourself hydrated. I like to use my thermoflask (just as good as a hydroflask, but half the price) to carry around with me and make sure by the end of the day that I’ve consumed at least 2 full containers worth. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb is to drink to thirst!
- Skipping nursing/pumping sessions — making time to workout in addition to your nursing/pumping schedule for baby can be tricky. However, it’s key that you don’t skip any of your nursing/pumping sessions as you’re pretty much telling your body you don’t need it to make milk (remember, if the breasts stay full it signals you don’t need more milk). I like to wear a nursing/pumping bra that way if I must stop in the middle of a workout, it’s easy to nurse or pump and get back to my workout!.
Now that we got through 3 pretty important pieces of what you need to consider before selecting a workout program, lets take a look at the 3 BEST postpartum workout programs for moms!
BEST postpartum workout programs after having a baby
These 3 are the BEST postpartum workout programs for moms — hands down.
Each provides a unique approach to helping you recover and strengthen your body after giving birth, but I’ll list all the specifics as we go over em’.
Mutu System Program for Moms
The Mutu System has been around since 2009, making it one of the MOST recommended & leading postnatal workout programs for moms!
The Mutu System was specifically created as a 12-week program to help moms:
- Say GOODBYE to leaking urine
- Lose weight
- Flatten their core
- Build up their body confidence
- Enjoy sex WITHOUT pain
- And have all the support any mom could need in her postpartum fitness journey!
One of the other great parts about The Mutu System is that you do NOT need any kind of gym membership!
Knowing moms are often pressed for time and preoccupied with little ones, this program was designed to fit into your hectic schedule where you can stream it from ANY of your favorite devices!
Need to see some of the many moms like you and I who have seen incredible results? Feel free to check them out here!
Juna App Workout & Nutrition for Pregnant/Postpartum Moms
The Juna Workout & Nutrition App is one of the newest, but highly raved about fitness programs for pregnant and postpartum moms!
Although being newer, they are truly one of a kind because you won’t find any other app that provides the amount of high-quality fitness AND nutritional content tailored to moms from pregnancy to postpartum!
After personally using this app myself after my 2nd son was born, I can’t help but rave about them!
One of my personal favorite parts about Juna is that you don’t blindly select a workout program.
Instead, you enter your due date (or when the baby was born) so that it can take you through guided workouts & provide nutritional + rehabilitative exercises for you based on where you’re at in this motherhood timeline.
When using the Juna app, you can expect:
- Curated content from industry experts such as a Pre & Post Natal Exercise Specialist, Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist, Fertility + Pregnancy & Postpartum Registered Dietician, Certified Lactation Educator- Counselor, Certified Personal Trainer, and Labor and Delivery Registered Nurse.
- 200+ follow along workouts
- Encouragement to stay active, find support and motivation through their private Facebook group
- Nutritional tips & “Food of the week” highlights including recipes and snack tips
- Baby Tracking & Milestone tips
- Pelvic Floor Exercises
- Daily diaphragmatic breathing to help you prepare for labor AND recover from birth!
Because I was really into strength training prior to having kids, I really enjoyed that this app does focus a lot of its workouts around the strength training aspect.
Jena Bradley’s Postpartum Ab Rehab
Jena Bradley is a Doctor in Physical Therapy who started her own 12-week exercise program to guide & educate postpartum moms all about how to exercise having a baby and how to do it safely!
What stands out about this postpartum fitness ebook compared to the rest, is that Jena takes you through what to expect and how to handle those first few days postpartum beyond just a “fitness routine”.
She also does a really great job about explaining how your abdominal muscles work from being pregnant to now working out. It’s really helpful (and fascinating).
The breakdown of this workout program includes:
- How to handle the first 48 hours after giving birth
- What to expect the first 6 weeks after birth during the “waiting period”
- Approaching fitness after birth if you had a cesarean
- How to understand and correct diastasis recti
- Educate on the importance of eating a well balanced nutritional diet
Unlike the other programs, this one is in an e-book format. So if you like courses and having the material in video format, this one won’t be for you.
But if you enjoy that slower paced reading then applying what you’ve read — this option is perfect for you!
You can check out Jena’s 12-week Postpartum Ab Rehab Program here!
Postpartum Fitness Program FAQ:
What are the benefits to having a postnatal workout plan?
I had surveyed my Instagram following trying to better understand why so many moms struggled to workout after having a baby.
Though I had a pretty good idea, the votes came back with ONE main common problem: moms didn’t know where to start or how to find time!
When you use a postnatal workout plan, you’re able to have a guided plan right in front of you telling you exactly what and when to do it.
Plus, it’s specifically tailored to your goals and what your body needs.
Which postpartum fitness program do I suggest?
Personally, when it comes to finding a postpartum fitness program that gets you the most bang for your buck without lowering content quality — Juna App is the way to go.
Sarah (the creator & founder) has done such a phenomenal job creating this app that’s tailored to mom’s various stages of motherhood.
Not to mention, she has experts to help with nutrition and rehabilitation.
And of course, it’s an app that you can access anywhere on your phone.
You won’t be let down with the Juna App, you can click here to try it out!
Looking for more POSTPARTUM resources? Check these out below: